Thursday, April 7, 2011

Stamps: 1892-1912 French Colonies Map

As I build my collection of "Navigation and Commerce" stamps from French Colonies (1892-1912) I thought it would be helpful to map out their geographic locations for reference.



As you can see, France (circled) had great influence in Africa & Madagascar, and was also well established in the Caribbean, India, the South and Western Pacific and South East Asia (Indo-China).

I currently have navigation and commerce stamps from each of these colonies, except Guinea, Mayotte, and St. Marie (Madagascar). I even have a few of them "on cover" including the following:


Senegal to Switzerland, 1898


Martinique to France, 1898


New Caledonia (local) 1914


I'm hoping the reference map will be useful in my April 18th presentation at the CF stamp club.

No comments:

Post a Comment